Below is a list of word choice errors the Virtual Writing Tutor can detect and correct. The list is not exhaustive. Instead, it will give you a sense of the kinds of errors that I consider a word choice error and I have been working to correct.
Word choice errors are often due to interference from the writer’s first language and are sometimes called false-cognate errors or translation errors. Other times the errors seem developmental in nature, coming from a lack of knowledge of the different vocabulary choices available in English or collocations required by a particular context. Sometimes, phrases just sound awkward in English because they are words we would never put together.
Another source of word choice errors can be bilingual dictionaries or automatic translation websites. For example, a root waterway treatment is not a synonym for a root canal treatment.
I have not included typos as a word choice errors if they can be considered contextual spelling errors instead, for example, I was the winner
or one million dollar. However, I consider the wrong choice of homophones (for example, there/their) is a type of word choice error. Here is another example: Words pored from his mouth, but the students were up until midnight, pouring over their books.
Often-confused words and eggcorns
Similar sounding words that are often confused are another source of word choice errors. Adverse/averse, effect/affect are common examples.
Eggcorns are another problem.
Doggy-dog and duck tape are common examples.
70 Word Choice Errors
Copy and paste this list into the grammar checker to see the corrections.
- The tiger of Serghei took a lot of
- This problem is
reallybigger than I expected.
- I don’t remember my
tall, but I am short.
- I usually like to wear
- I like eating at Lonimar, my favorite Dominican
- She spoke very loudly
likeI was deaf.
- All prisoners had committed
- It was a
- The police asked for a
littledescription of the car
- The website is
- He told me he had followed several
- Suddenly, he took me and he
- For me, I can not
supportthe pets of Jackson. (False-cognate)
openedthe light and we saw blood in the bathroom.
- This website is
- He was determined to get the money by
- I advise you to
takeas many exercises as you can.
- I’m doing the course to
expandmy job opportunities.
saidyou before Almostforeigner like pizza. Almoststudents are tired.
- There is a lot of tools at your
- This website is a huge
difference makerfor me.
- The thing is that I did not know or think that this field of study has as
- The metro is ten minutes away
- Every dentist needs a dental
collaboratorto help with cleaning and preparation.
- On my last visit to the dentist, I had a root
- First of all, social anxiety is characterized by an intense fear of situation that can
- I like to see my friend,
lookmovies and read some good book of science fiction.
- Some couples prefer not to
- In my new job I have to make a lot of important
lookrandom video on YouTube make me smile.
poredfrom his mouth.
- The students were up until midnight,
pouringover their books.
- I think I’ll
laydown for a few minutes.
- We are wholly
adverseto the new policy.
- Taxes are having an
averseeffect on production.
- The news is
- I pass all my
classeswith excellent grades.
- The boss of another multinational wants us to
joinour two companies.
- It is a really
- The majority of them are working in an educational
entourageand the others in health department.
- The car couldn’t stop because it’s brakes
- Dinner is the main
dishof the day.
- It was a long
distancebetween the hotel and the beach.
- The magazine is
- Unemployment is a very
- That didn’t
letme enough time in the morning to pray.
- While I was walking I see my friend and he proposed to me to
embarkin his car.
- Basement flats are often dark and
moist. Last day, I had a dream. He’sname is Boris.
- It was very
- The teachers are very kind and
- When I arrive at work, I
takemy new email on my computer.
- I am
foundthe relationships among these variables.
- We have received a great
earneda lot of money on the lottery.
have anurgent need of a new secretary.
- I speak French
- I work as a
salesin a clothes shop.
- I use English during my work
onwhen I speak to friend who only speak English.
- I have been
talkingFrench since I’m born.
- In my new job I’m
demandedto work overtime.
- When you are not in your best, they are
every timebehind you like brothers. Havingin mind that the roads will be busy,I think that we should make an early start.
- I got to know the south of London very
- There was a
negligentamount of liquid in the test tube.